Armthorpe Take Part in Menin Gate Ceremony
Viewed 1641 times.
By Flt Lt R Wenban - 1053 (Armthorpe) Squadron
In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme and to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the Air Training Corps, 1053 (Armthorpe) Squadron undertook a 'Battlefields Tour' during July 2016.
The tour consisted of several presentations at varying sites: -
- The Story of 'The Pals Battalions' at Serre
- 'Newfoundland Park' and The Attack of Canadian Forces at 'Beumont Hamel'
- The 'Theipval Memorial to The Missing of The Somme'
- The 'Lochnagar Crater' at La Boiselle and 'The Mining War'
- The 'Devonshire Trench' at Mansel Copse and 'The Attack of The Devonshire Regiment'
- Pozieres/Flers Courcelette and 'The Australians First Tank Battle'
- The 'Vimy Ridge Memorial' - including tunnels and trenches
- The 'Arras Memorial' (Wilfred Owen the War Poet)
- The 'Poperinghe Memorial' for those who were 'Shot At Dawn'
- 'Essex Farm' and the 'In Flanders Fields Poem' by Lt Col McRae
- 'Langemarck German Cemetery' near Ypres
- 'The Passchendaele Memorial Museum'
- The Largest CWGC Cemetery in the world at 'Tyne Cot'
However, perhaps the highlight of the trip was representing the Corps at the world famous ‘Menin Gate Ceremony' for the 'Last Post Parade & Wreath Laying'.
For more information please visit the Squadron website