Squadron Awards for 2014
Viewed 1933 times.
By John Michael Scott - 1407 (Newton Aycliffe) Squadron
1407 (Newton Aycliffe) Squadron ATC recently held their annual presentation evening. The squadron continues to perform excellently, as highlighted by the number of awards and certificates gained by the cadets during 2014. With many parents in attendance, proceedings began with the presentation of five 1st Class badges to Cadets Addison, Bain, Hastie P, Nelson and Smith, which marks the first step up the academic ladder.
1407 squadron provides cadets with many opportunities and nationally recognised awards and qualifications. Six bronze and one Silver Duke of Edinburgh's Awards were presented, along with 12 ELA Workplace Hazard Awareness certificates and 15 Provisional Radio Operator certificates. Cdt Thomson gained her Squadron Marksman badge and Cdts Tinkler and Weir gained their Wing Marksman badges for their skill with the No8 rifle.
The second half of the evening saw the awarding of the squadron's trophies for 2014 by Deputy Wing Commander Sqn Ldr John Scott and Mrs Dorothy Bowman.
- Best Probationer: Cdt Bain
- Scott Shield for Most Improved Cadet: Cdt Appleton
- Tom Downs Cup for Endeavour and Service: Cdt Pears
- Scott Trophy for Citizenship: Cdt Lakey
- Sports Trophy: Sgt Armstrong
- Crabbe Cup for Aircraft Recognition: FS Lowe
- Laverick Memorial Trophy for Shooting: Cdt Weir
- Sedgefield Veterans’ Trophy for Attendance: Sgt Addison
- Boddy Trophy for Best NCO: FS Lowe
- Fryer Shield for Cadet of the Year: Cdt J. Hastie
Certificates of Merit were also awarded to Cdt Smith for making an excellent start to his cadet career, Cdt Powell for showing strong improvement and Cdt Hillary for his exceptional keenness. Cadet J. Hastie was promoted to Corporal and Sergeant McCormack was promoted to Flight Sergeant.
The night was an excellent celebration of the achievements of all the members of 1407 squadron. The squadron’s Commanding Officer, Flt Lt Karin Scott, would like to thank all of the staff and civilian committee for their hard work and commitment to the squadron.
For more information please visit the Squadron website